Monday, June 16, 2014

Story and more

Instead of giving yall an update on the week I figured I break the monotony and write a joke that I heard this week. Forgive me if it's lame.

The Three Degrees of Hell
So just like in Heaven there are three degrees or levels in Hell. And there was a man who was so wicked and evil that he ended up going there. He dies and his spirit is welcomed to Hell by the Devil. The Devil looks pretty excited and notifies the man that he has three choices of where he can spend the rest of his time. The man looks around and notices that there are three different doors that he can choose from. The man asks Satan if he can first just look and see what each door contains before he goes in. Satan agrees. As the man approaches door number one he already notices a huge increase in the temperature. He grabs the handle and quickly opens the door before his hand gets burnt too bad. In that instant a cloud of sulfurous fumes billow through the opening. This place clearly has the most known qualities of Hell. There are pools of molten rock, great massive bonfires, and an ever present and seemingly increasing level of heat. He also notices that there are not too many people in this door so assumes it isnt a great choice and moves on. (The man also lived in Greenland so never really had a great love for the heat). He promptly shuts the door and takes a few steps to the left to investigate the next door. At first glance he notices a tiny icicle hanging from the doorknob and automatically understand what lies behind it. And just like he figured this door was the exact opposite of the door just previous. He sees even fewer people behind this door and also notices the lack of shelter from the bitter wind, instead of pools of lava there are unavoidable pools of liquid nitrogen that freeze instantly, now this man had lived in the cold before so was not too worried about the effects of these drastic temperatures. He is almost sure that he has made up his mind when he is tapped on the shoulder by the Devil and reminded of the next door. His curiosity gets the best of him and he moves on to see the last door. This time as he approaches the door he notices a loud noise which sounds like a mad storm of bees. The door is opened and this time he sees a massive crowd of people smiling and talking earnestly with everyone around them. They seem pretty happy and the only bad thing about this place is the waist level pool of sewage that everyone is milling around in. (and of course the putrid smell) The man figures he can plug his nose or just breath from his mouth instead and thinks that this door is just the thing for him. Everyone seems pretty happy anyway so it must be a good place. The man turns to Satan and tells him that his choice has been made. A devious smile barely creeps onto the Devil's face as he nods him into the room. The man enters the room and begins a conversation with a portly fellow about the obvious flaw in Satans plan. The portly man just smiles and nods since he notices the red alarm has lit up signifying an announcement. Instantly everyones smile fades into the most horrid visage that one would only expect from Satan himself. The guttural voice of Lucifer sounds over the speakers and says "Alright everyone, breaks over, back on your heads!"
Lesson these people never learned.... Dont follow the crowd

 I've been pretty excited to be able to do so much family research and to be able to find names of people in the family that I can take to the temple. We have a temple trip this weekend, so I was hoping that I could take one of the names to do the endowment but it looks like I won't be able to until Garrett does the baptism and other ordinances. We did some service this week for Mary and apparently we didn't quite do a good enough job. She got pretty upset and had just all sorts of snarky comments. I have seen her be this way with other people (she is the type that no matter what she sends her food back at a restaurant because "something" isn't right. I honestly had a hard time not getting frustrated because the lawn looked just fine. At the end of the time we were there I just had to swallow my pride and act like she was right. Now that I think about it its kind of funny bt in the moment it was pretty easy for me to get all upset. So hopefully I don't have another test of my patience like that again. Other than that things have been going pretty good. We had a lesson last night with three guys that some of the summer members referred to us. Hopefully we can teach them again and keep getting people to teach. I realized last night that it was the first time that a member has ever invited us to teach someone that they knew. So hopefully it keeps up because I know that it's the best way to help people become converted. 
Love Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment