Dear family,
My stay here at the MTC has been one of the best experiences I've ever had. My testimony has been strengthened and my knowledge has grown. My first day was a very long day. I was unsure what I was getting myself into and nervous to begin this adventure. When I was able to meet my district and meet my companion it made me even more nervous. After a few moments of getting to know everyone I realized that everyone was just as nervous as I was, which calmed me down. We went through lots of rules and then we were sent back to our rooms to get ready for bed.
The next day I woke up at 630. I was surprised that I was able to and didn't roll over and go back to sleep. When we were ready for the day we went to our classroom and studied for like 5 hours! It was very difficult not to just lay my head down on my scriptures and fall asleep. Since we did not have a real class yet and it was just personal study that whole time a few of the Elders did just that. I have been blessed by being able to focus myself and learn as much as I can in my personal study. I have found revelation that has been crucial in helping me teach by the spirit and be an effective missionary. After study time we went to lunch and then started with our first real class. The joke at the MTC is that it feels like trying to drink from a fire Hydrant with all of the information they throw at us. At the end of the day we went back to our residence hall and met the other Elders who are in our zone, they were all going to California. One of the Elders was from Ghana and I spent a lot of time talking to him. I practiced shaking his hand and clicking my fingers and we finally were able to get it right the day he left. The Elders in my zone were very friendly and welcomed us all with hugs.
Each day goes about the same way with us studying for a couple of hours and then class for six. Though the week as a district we have grown very close and shared spiritual experiences. I know that God has a plan for me on my mission I know that there is a reason why I have come to the MTC now, and why I am serving in Louisiana.
My branch President is a very awesome "little" man. President Wenn was a convert when he was about 20 while he lived in Baton Rouge. He is about four and half feet tall and full of love. the experiences he has shared have shown how much the gospel will bless the lives of those who we are going to teach. I'm so excited to be here and I am grateful the Lord has called me on my mission.
We teach "investigators" at certain times in the day with our companion and these lessons are very good. Then man that me and my companion taught name was Thrijae. He was born in Hawaii and was referred to us by his friend Mario. When we first got to his "house" and knocked on the door I just walked in when he said hello. I was incredibly embarrassed because he soon became very nervous about why we were there. I told him we were missionaries and we wanted to share a message with him. He was reluctant but let us sit down. At the very beginning he told us he didn't want us to be there and my companion kept elbowing me saying "Elder Smith lets go" I felt impressed to stay and to tell him how important what we share with him will be. I told him that god loves him and that if he listens it will bless his life. Finally he told us that he had just lost his Dad a week ago to Cancer and that for his whole life his dad never told him that he loved him. he said that on Friday he went to the Hospital since it was his turn to be with his father and his father told him he didn't have much longer and wanted Thrijae to get his six other brothers. When he got back with his brothers he told them to line up by age and their father told them that he loved them and was so proud of who they had become. Thrijae was wiping tears away and said that he wanted all the pain to go away and to end his life. At that moment I knew that what we had shared with him had saved his life. After a few lessons Thrijae prayed and read the Book of Mormon he said he saw his Dad in a dream and that he wanted to learn about being with him again. Our last lesson with him was yesterday and he told us that he loved us and was going to bring his family to church with him the next week, I know that if we listen to the spirit he will show us how to touch the souls around us. We do not know the pains others are suffering but God does.
Even though this wasn't a real investigator the story of Thrijae was real. Either the man we taught knew Thrijae on his mission or had the same experience with Missionaries in his life.
I know that this church has been restored by the Prophet Joseph. I know that Christ suffered for my sins and took upon him my infirmities and pain. Christ is the perfect example and we should strive to be like him a little more everyday.
I hope everyone can understand if i didn't get a message to them individually. I love you all and am praying for you!
Love Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment